Monday 17 October 2016

The Chembai Connection

Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar
You can click on the Wikipedia to read a referenced biography of Bhagavathar. It will inform you that he was born in 1896 and passed away in Ottapalam in 1974. What about the man, his immense talent, unmatched bell-like voice or his rock star like popularity? Only those who have been close to him, or in his magnetic presence can tell you about the amazingly strong personality that he was.
I knew him personally for a very brief period, 1970 to 1974. But it was an intense period when he stayed at our humble home on every visit, insisted on my making his special dishes (palak dal/mulagootal was his favourite). He made me feel very special, encouraged me boldly to continue my career in dance (against opposition from other quarters) and treated me with a tenderness of a grandfather. He knew my maternal grandfather F.G. Natesa Iyer, a patron of music, and was extremely close to my married family.
I first met him at his palatial bungalow in Santhome, Chennai. My then fiancé took me there and said we must take his blessings. He was seated in on the thinnai (patio) and gave us a hearty welcome. He was delighted at the prospect of our imminent wedding and called out to his daughter and wife to see me.
In 1972 December we took a road trip to Kerala and Tamil Nadu. We met Palghat Mani Iyer in Thanjavur and later in Palghat. Our mission was to bring together the two once again. They had split on a very small misunderstanding fuelled by their mischievous sycophants. If they could come together on the stage we offered them a special occasion in our family, the Shastiabhdapoorti celebrations of their dear friend P. A. Raman in March 1973.
The violin maestro T.N. Krishnan joined the clamour and wished to accompany them. They agreed and the rest is history. It is especially significant that both souls were at peace and we witnessed this memorable reunion at our home. Mani Iyer later said that he was relieved that he could pay his respects to him before Bhagavathar passed away.
I have had the privilege and honour of cooking and serving food to Palghat Mani Iyer, Alathur Srinivasa Iyer, Shri. T. N. Krishnan, D.K. Pattammal and R. Iswaran besides my dance Gurus Adyar Lakshman and Shri. V. P. Dhananjayan.
After that function, Bhagavathar came once again to stay with us. This time he was to perform with Yesudas accompanying him. His well-wishers thronged our home. When Yesudas came in, he humbly remained standing throughout. He would not sit down in his master’s presence. They later withdrew to another room where they were closeted for two hours as Yesudas prepared for the concert.

We drove into Chembai in a small premier Padmini, our bags loaded on the seat behind. We stayed at the ancient Chembai abode, visiting relatives and temples around the villages. Villages in Kerala were not a huge area. This street is Chembai, the next street is Ayyapan Kavu in Kottayi. Forty-four years ago the villages and towns were sparsely populated and we covered a good distance each day. We had to come back for lunch on time as both Bhagavathar and his wife would wait for us. Evenings were for his concerts and visits from his disciples and well-wishers.

Among his other star disciples are T. V. Gopalakrishnan, P. Susheela, K. J. Jesudas, Chembai Narayana Bhagavathar, Mangu Thampuran, V.V. Subramanian (Violinist), Poomulli Raman Namboodiri and Guruvayur Ponnammal. 

Two highlights of this trip are unforgettable. The first was his concert and award function at Ottapalam. We were amazed to see the roads choc-a-bloc on either side with men, women and children lining a two kilometre drive to the hall. Bhagavathar and his disciples Jayan and Vijayan went ahead in a car sent by the organisers. We were next in the convoy. People joined hands and bowed as his car passed by slowly. Flowers, elephants and a battery of photographers awaited his arrival with breathless expectancy. For them he was the saintly soul who had made Guruvayoor Krishna his own and breathed every breath for Him, and sang His praises with utter devotion. After the award function was a concert performed with an energy that belied his age and health. Chembai had taken an oath that he would charge only one thousand rupees for every concert so that he could perform Udayasthamana Puja at Guruvayoor. It is a well-known story that Narayan Menon, then Director of NCPA, refused to pay him that princely sum so Bhagavathar never performed there.

The second function was at Poomulli Mana where his disciple Raman Namboodiri resided. The Poomulli family were patrons of arts and Ayurveda.
The drive was a little uphill but we reached safely with Bhagavathar. We were just getting out of the car when another car came up, pushed by two men. I was shocked to see that one of them was Yesudas.  He was at the peak of his career as playback singer. Yet modest and humble, he immediately crossed his arms against his chest and bowed his head to Bhagavathar.
That evening, their concert was a climax after a variety of dances by artistes from Kalamandalam. Chembai suddenly turned to me after lunch. ‘I want you to dance today on this stage. I can sing ‘Thaye Yashoda’ and Paras Thillana. Will you do it? This is the only chance for me to see you dance’.
And there I was, with a little help from the make-up artistes and other dancers on the stage before a crowd of forty thousand audience gathered to hear Yesudas and Bhagavathar. Thrilled, I danced as if in a dream. What greater blessings could I desire?
My research on Tyagaraja’s kritis began on this trip. It later culminated into ‘Sumati Tyagaraja’. I discussed the meanings and lyrics with Bhagavathar and later with M.D. Ramanathan (MDR) in Chennai.
Before we left for Chennai, Bhagavathar said, “I want to give you something. I don’t know what...” I had spotted the small tanpura in the open attic in the Chembai house. The base was cracked and it was lying forlorn and abandoned, covered with dust. This was the family tanpura that he and his brother had used when they were younger. I asked him if I could have it. He was puzzled that all I wanted was a broken musical instrument but immediately ordered that it be taken down and given to me. I am still in possession of that tanpura and have promised his family that I would gift this heirloom to them soon.




This photo was taken on March 13, 1973 at a family function.


In August 1973, Chembai visited Mumbai again. This time he could not stay with us as he could not climb the flight of stairs. In July I had given birth to a son who was born in distress and doctors and the staff of Breach Candy Hospital were fighting to save his life. I asked that Bhagavathar be contacted immediately so that he can pray for my son seek some remedy. I too reached out wordlessly and desperately to Bhagavathar to save my son. He sat in the car as I showed him the baby swaddled in flannel. He murmured a few prayers and gifted him a gold pendant of Guruvayoor Sri Krishna.
I sensed an intense spiritual connection with Bhagavathar among others. He seemed to understand me and the troubles I was facing during that time. His twinkling eyes and hearty laughter-filled speech exuded love and enveloped me with a healing energy. I am overwhelmed by Bhagavathar’s affection and grateful for those few years in his presence.










No comments:

Post a Comment